Friday, January 25, 2008

Eyes Closed Tight

Gordon Freedman recently published an article in e-school News- He asked the question:
Why is it that educators who wouldn't dream of buying their airline tickets or banking anyplace but online have not been able to transform education with technology?


I just completed a 21st Century Skills Presentation at FETC in Orlando. What a great group that attended. They were energized, enthusiastic and listened with open ears and hearts. There were so many e-mail with questions, praise and challenges , it charges my batteries even more and provides additional passion for me to "Change The World".

So......back the Mr Freedman's question... Why is it that we have only changed about 5 % of our classrooms to integrate 21st Century Skills.....TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fear - I think that's it. People fear what they do not understand but at the rate things are moving in technology, they're going to be left way behind if they don't get going soon. Is the goal to do what's best for the students or what's best for you?? That's the question that must be answered.

4boysmom said...

Technology availability is also a concern. I have been able to purchase a set of classroom responders for my son who teaches 6th grade. He uses them all the time for immediate feedback. But most schools/districts don't have the money to do this in every room.

Having teachers willing to change from the same old/same old is difficult. As the new generation of teachers who are solid technology users integrate into schools with older teachers, maybe some of this techno savvy will rub off!

Anonymous said...

I think we only have a 5% change because we are tend to teach the way we were taught. Most teachers do not like to get out of their comfort zone and do something new. Most teachers are also afraid of a classroom where the students have some power and probable know more than the teacher on how to use the new technologies.

PLNaugle said...

I believe time is the greatest obstacle to teachers using the new technology available. I am lucky that I have been provided all sorts of tech tools. If I had not taken the time (many hours after school and on weekends) it could all just be so much windowdressing in my classroom.

I am scared about going back to school this year for the first time in my thirty-two year career. I'm afraid I can't do what my 21st Century learners need. Blog, wiki, digital storytelling, global communication, podcast, vodcast, Skype, etc. and ready them for the high stakes test they must pass to get to the next grade.

I attended NECC in San Antonio and some local inservices on Web 2.0 tools. I have spent many hours most days this summer on my laptop researching and learning as much as I could about these tools. Now the first day of school looms less than two weeks from now and I ask myself, "How am I going to be ready?"